A central part of your role as an estate agent is communicating with buyers and sellers. But are you doing so effectively? We asked private property for a few tips and insights.
WHY IS COMMUNICATION SO IMPORTANT FOR ESTATE AGENTS?
Buying or selling property isn’t something that people do often, so it’s generally a stressful process for them. They rely on the estate agent not only to give them all the information and knowledge they need, but to put their minds at ease. But an estate agent who doesn’t communicate only adds to the stress. In fact, on Private Property, lack of communication is the number one complaint about estate agents. How well an agent communicates can either make or break their reputation.
WHAT ARE SOME COMMON COMMUNICATION MISTAKES AGENTS MAKE?
Three primary communication errors exist:
- Not responding to queries on time.
- Ignoring communication preferences: older clients may prefer a phone call while younger buyers may be happier with an email or SMS.
- Not listening properly.
HOW CAN ESTATE AGENTS IMPROVE THEIR COMMUNICATION?
Four key areas should be considered:
- RESPOND TO QUERIES PROMPTLY otherwise the client may move on to the next agent. Even if you can’t resolve the issue immediately, let them know you received the query and assure them that you’re working on it.
- STAY IN CONSTANT CONTACT with a client during a property transaction, even if it’s just to let them know that everything is proceeding as it should.
- BE PROACTIVE WITH YOUR COMMUNICATION – if the client is constantly calling you, that’s a sign that you’re not communicating enough.
- LISTEN TO YOUR CLIENT and let them share their thoughts and ensure they feel heard before you respond.
WHAT TOOLS CAN AGENTS USE TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION?
A good customer-relationship management (CRM) SYSTEM is invaluable for recording communications, keeping track of customer details and any relevant information that pertains to their transaction. Social media (Facebook and Twitter) can also be enormously helpful, provided you have someone checking it every day.
HOW DOES PRIVATE PROPERTY HELP AGENTS COMMUNICATE BETTER?
Through the website, Private Property offers agents multiple ways for clients to make contact with them. They can email, send a request to be called or phone the agent, all in one place. On the mobile version of the site and the Private Property app a client can call the agent directly from a listings page.
WHAT’S THE ADVANTAGE TO BEING A GOOD COMMUNICATOR?
It’s simple, an agent who is a good communicator provides better customer service than those who aren’t as good at communication. Their satisfied clients will gladly refer them to their friends and family and approach them again for property transactions. This inevitably results in more mandates and sales for the agent.