Not sure if networking really is helpful to your business? We asked Private Property for some tips on how increase sales by doing just that
WHY ARE RELATIONSHIPS SO IMPORTANT FOR ESTATE AGENTS?
The most important aspect of being a successful estate agent is the ability to make connections and form strong relationships. You’re asking people to trust you when they’re making one of the biggest financial decisions of their lives, so aim to connect with them on a personal level.
WHICH EVENTS CAN BE POTENTIAL NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES?
For an agent, any event should be considered a networking opportunity since it can give you a window to meet people and increase your sphere of influence. Keep your eyes open for:
This shows that you are involved in your local community. The people attending will probably be active in your market.
An opportunity to meet others bright and early before their workday starts.
Most people, regardless of the industry they’re in, will have property needs at some stage. Treat everyone as a potential client.
IS THERE AN ART TO NETWORKING?
Absolutely! Here are a few points to keep in mind:
• Listen more than you talk.
• Collect more cards than you give out – this puts the power to follow up in your hands.
• Stay off your phone and interact personally with the people around you.
• Don’t spend too much time with people you already know. The point of networking is to make new contacts.
• Keep notes when others talk. The more you know about them, the better you can serve them as an agent.
SHOULD YOU SELL YOURSELF AND YOUR SERVICES?
Explain what you do, but keep the selling to a minimum. Talk about yourself and allow the other person to chat. Selling will be easier once you’ve made that personal connection.
Tips for new contacts:
• Write a personal email.
• Follow up immediately to keep the conversation going.
• Stay in touch so that you’re the first person they think of when they need to buy or sell a home.
• Automatically sign them up for your newsletter.
• Send out an impersonal group email.
• Get in touch repeatedly if there is no response from them.