What retirees look for
What do retirees look for in property? A survey from Retire KZN provides some answers
Retire KZN is a digital research campaign commissioned by Tongaat Hulett Developments through Rainmaker Marketing. The aim is for retirees to register their interest, needs and desires when it comes to retirement accommodation and lifestyle. The campaign also aims to promote KwaZulu-Natal as the retirement destination of South Africa. To date, there have been 1,700 registrants.
But the results also reﬂect the needs of modern South African retirees in general.
Survey results to date deﬁned three main features:
• A clubhouse
Retirees also want the following:
• Almost half of would-be retirees have a desired price point of R1m-R2m.
• 44% look for freehold opportunities; 41% look for sectional title; the balance consider life right.
• 60% look for a two-bed option, and want garaging and storage.
• Garden units dominate demand, preferably freestanding over semi-detached.
• Sunny north-facing homes are preferred over sea views.
Words: Anne Schauffer and Supplied