What clients should know about Pest Clearance Certificates

What clients should know about Pest Clearance Certificates

When it comes to entomology certificates, there are discrepancies about what is and isn’t required. Dale Caswell of Express Fumigation and Electrical Services says that while not a legal stipulation, in the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal, an entomology clearance certificate is a customary requirement in a Deed of Sale. Generally banks require this clearance before transfer can take place. An entomology clearance inspection and any necessary treatments and/or tenting is usually at the seller’s expense and should usually be done before transfer.

The entomology certificate should cover all wood-destroying insects – the species vary in different areas but common ones include woodborer beetles and white ants (termites). Buyers can stipulate on the Deed of Sale which insects they want treated if this isn’t clear. Treatment recommendations will vary for different types of wood-destroying insects – most commonly gassing for borer beetles and large-scale problems, and injecting below slab level for floors infested with white ants.

After an initial inspection the inspector will inform the seller if evidence of infestation or live activity is found. If there are no live wood-destroying insects then subject to certain conditions, a clearance certificate will be issued. If infestation is found, a quote and arrangements for fumigation will follow.

During fumigation residents and all pets are required to vacate the property for 48 hours. In a block of flats, if a whole flat is being gassed, the flats above, below and on either side will need to be vacated too. Spot treatments can alleviate smaller problems.

After fumigation it’s a good idea to vacuum ceilings, accessible basement areas and areas where evidence of borer was found, as any new evidence would mean they have resumed breeding.

A seller could request a pest certificate before putting a residence on the market, but risks having to redo the certificate before transfer, as they are only valid for three months. By law pest control companies have to be registered with the Department of Agriculture. Some choose to join the South African Pest Control Association too.


Showing 5 comments
  • Daisy

    Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you
    relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know
    what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just
    posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us
    something enlightening to read?

  • navigate to this web-site

    It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to
    be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you
    some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to
    this article. I want to read more things about it!

  • agen sbobet

    Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up
    and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

  • Ralph Wortley

    Looks as if Daisy, comment above, is looking a gift horse in the mouth. Some people can’t be satisfied, even with a free service


  • Carryn Mackay

    Could someone assist me please. 9 months after purchasing my home we now have borer eaten skirting boards showing up (hollowed out) and a window frame that is hollow and looks like it has previously been puttied where it is now hollow. The pest certificate given to me by the conveyancing attorney 4 months after purchasing the property says they did a drill treatment in the roof for borer before purhcase and no infestation where accessible in Floors and joinery at the time of inspection. whose responsibility is it now to sort out the borer in the skirtings and windows.

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search