Growing pains with CPD e-learning

Growing pains with CPD e-learning

‘Patience is a virtue. Virtue is a grace’ … estate agents will need grace for their regulating body as it continues to work on IT problems with last year’s CPD roll out.

As last year’s nationwide lockdown was extended from the initial three weeks to two months, all tertiary training institutions had to make quick adaptations to allow for online tutoring. Unfortunately for estate agents, their regulatory body, the Estate Agency Affairs Board (EAAB), was not able to make similar adaptations to e-learning as swiftly. It was only in December that the online training courses were made available for 2020’s mandatory Continuous Professional Development (CPD). This delay was unrelated to Covid-19 or the lockdown as the courses should have been available by Feb/March.

However, the troubles were not over. The EAAB did announce last year that CPD fees for 2020 are waived and agents who paid already will be accredited for this year’s CPD programme. However, when agents try to log on to do the e-learning course on the EAAB website now, they face numerous problems, e.g., payment is required when no payment is due etc.

According to numerous complaints by estate agents the EAAB don’t respond to their complaints about this via email either. Rebosa has also written to the board to obtain answers and was told they are working on the online system. Property Professional this week received a similar reply from the EAAB stating that a service provider was recently appointed to overhaul the IT framework and that this will also involve the CPD configuration. The EAAB says ‘a lasting solution that will allow affected estate agents to access e-Learning’ is on its’ way.

EAAB won’t suspend CPD e-learning

According to Le Roux what he fails to understand is why this had to happen in the first place? He says Rebosa suggested last year already to the EAAB that the entire programme for CPD training in 2020 be suspended until the IT system was updated and working efficiently. Since no payment was required from agents this would have been an ideal solution and the EAAB could have started 2021 with courses ready early in the year as it should be. Now 2021 courses will be made available later, undoubtedly late yet again. This is “like getting yourself into a hole and keeping on digging,” says Le Roux.

Nonetheless, the EAAB, in their comments this week affirmed that the CPD programme will not be suspended as the solution is being worked on with the IT service provider.

“I am amazed that the EAAB prefers thousands of agents logging on, getting stuck and logging queries instead of suspending the endeavour until problems are solved and advising agents accordingly “, continues Le Roux.

At least the EAAB says that estate agents will receive an extension for completion of CPD 2020 points until 30 June 2021.

• Harry

Exactly what we are experiencing, paid CPD 2020 in Feb last year. Tried to complete 2020 e-learning and its says I must first pay.
    Logged queries resend proof of payments and still no word from The EAAB other than we have escalated the matter.
    Thats if someone actually answers the phone. 🙁

• Sonja Wolmarans

I actually did pay mine for 2021 and they still respond that I should pay, will this payment be allocated then to 2022.

• Maurice

Think they should outsource their call centre as that also doesn’t exist.
    If they planned to have the 2020 courses ready by Feb & March 2020, then why they blaming Covid, lockdown only took place 28th March 2020. So it should have already been ready.
    Don’t understand that this EAAB fails to preform in all their departments.

• Jan

Never mind the fact that they want to charge 2 years penalty even if you were out of the country. So NOT trading illegally but no you must pay anyway. The EAAB is a blood sucking joke!!

• Gerbre Hill

I had no problem doing my online CPD in December.

• Lizette

Any question one tries to ask via the telephone, one is advised to log a query… that then is a dead-end, proforma reply and then nothing. I wonder if EAAB will ever function again after COVID or if that was the death knoll?

• Karl Buschow

The EAAB with all respect has never actually functioned.

• Gert Wepener

I agree with Karl Buschow

• Gert Wepener

Paid 3rd of February 2020, logged numerous online queries, and still not solved

You dont have access to E-Learning , please pay first

🙁 🙁

• Gert Wepener

What a joke!!!!
    CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) E-LEARNING FOR THE 2020 CALENDAR YEAR NOW OPEN

The CPD portal is open for all principals and non-principal estate agents to commence with their E-Learning for the CPD 2020 calendar year. The E-Learning video clips have been uploaded and are available on the MyCPD online agents’ portal available on http://www.eaab.org.za

Please note that as per the instructions from the Minister early this year, CPD fees have been waived for the 2020 financial year.

Estate agents are encouraged to start with their CPD 2020 to earn their individual CPD points and an extension period of 6 months has been provided in which to complete and obtain your CPD points for the 2020 calendar year.

Date of Issue: 03 December 2020

• Monica

I have logged on, 5 Jan 2021, and did the first CPD questionnaire and when trying to SUBMIT it just shows LOADING, LOADING, LOADING, just not going anywhere. Lodged query, but only received automatic reply, nobody contacted me and no feedback.

• Jaycee Hanekom

Pathetic…!

• les

EAAB is now worse than CSOS!

I didn’t know that I still have to do 2020 CPD – I was trying to get in to start my 2021 CPD.
    Sent many emails with my proof of payment – two email replies both asking another employee to look into the matter?
    It will most probably be June when they release their videos …
    A sorry mess of an organisation that is our “controlling body”
    Now they want me to do a self-assessment – when will they do a self-assessment?

• James Otter

I didn’t do 2020 e-learning because of the COVID. So I paid and did it last month. I find it quite useful in picking up trends, as I am an assessor and moderator for SAQA levels 4 and 5 (in need of some editing and updating).

I paid again for 2021. It won’t let me do e-learning. It tells me I haven’t paid. So I phoned the EAAB and spoke to a helpful lady who advised accounts. 2 weeks gone now and still no joy. I wonder whether there is any material available for 2021.

• James Otter

I discovered that the 2021 e-learning programme would be available in March after talking to the EAAB. The message that I haven’t paid is their way of telling me that the e-learning programme is not yet available. By the way, the 2020 plan was informative.