Industry mourns passing of beloved trainer

Industry mourns passing of beloved trainer

MAIN IMAGE: Independent assessor and trainer Jo-Anne Strydom passed away.

Mentor and friend to real estate agents and principals all over South Africa, Jo-Anne Strydom, owner of JAS Realty Training, will be sorely missed.

When the former teacher decided in 1994 to make a career change and become an estate agent, she could hardly have foreseen that 25 years later she would have coached and trained hundreds. As testified by many, Jo-Anne Strydom was always ready to assist anyone who came to her for assistance or advice on property-related matters.

The news of her death at age 52 last Tuesday was received with great shock in the property industry. Condolences towards her husband Frik van Oudtshoorn and their family have since poured in on social media.

Her death is cited as ‘a huge loss for the property industry’ – for many principals and estate agents Jo-Anne was more than just their trainer, she was a mentor, the person who taught them all they know about real estate today.

Condolences poured in on social media upon the news of Jo-Anne Strydom’s death.

She was passionate about the proper training of property professionals. Already in her second year as an estate agent, Jo-Anne began to develop her own training courses. She was training director at IEASA Gauteng North for two years before she became the training manager for a big agency in Centurion. One of only a few independent assessors and moderators, she has been actively involved in the training of estate agents for the past 11 years and she did contract work for most of the leading franchise groups.

Jo-Anne strived continually to stay on top of the latest changes in educational requirements by working closely with the education department of the Estate Agency Affairs Board (EAAB) and the Services Sector Education and Training Authority (Services SETA).

A firm believer in the motto that the sky is the limit in real estate so long as you are prepared to work hard and give it your best, for her seeing her former students get ahead in the property profession was most rewarding.

“The best acknowledgement for me, is to see someone, who completed my training, opens her own agency within 2-3 years. Seeing such personal growth gives me reason to continue,” Jo-Anne wrote for a special feature on her as part of Property Professional’s series on Exceptional Women in Property for Women’s Month August 2019.

• Corrien Jacobs

My heart is broken. I can’t believe Jo-Anne has passed. She was my mentor for so many years. Condolences to her family.

• Maryna

Ai Jo-Anne ons gaan jou mis – laaste dankie vir alles wat jy vir ons gedoen het – jou opleiding was die beste!!! Tot ons weer sien ….

• Martildie

Jo-Anne will be greatly missed! Just reading this makes me think of her and her comment is very true, I am one of those students who did just that! Opened my own agency successfully with her and her mentorship and training. RIP

• Alet Kleynhans

The saddest news I ever hear. She was my trainer for 13 year, from PDE4 to PDE5, and she help my agents at Propertycoza Eastern Freestate, also to do the LOGBOOK, and various courses, at the end .. such a good friend. Always welcome in her Guesthouse and home. She love flowers, and her Garden was eye catching pretty. May she rest in Peace and I know she will be dearly missed. alet.kleynhans@propertycoza.co.za

• Nontsikelelo Mgayiya

Jo-Anne, had a big heart, selfless and always willing to step in and assist, a very calm soul, she will be greatly missed.

• Connie

I cannot believe this news. She was an awesome and passionate trainer. She gave us agents so much confidence to write the exams. We will miss you Jo-Anne. Gone too soon.

• Malehu

sad and condolences to the family.

• Paula

Dear family of Jo-Anne My sincere condolences on your mom and wife passed away. She will forever live in my heart. During the training sessions she was always so passionate. She filled our hearts with hope for the future. She will be missed. Always. She was a born mentor and a friend.
    Paula

• Robyn

So sad to hear this news.
    My deepest condolences to all the family. Jo-anne was such a lovely person and mentor. Always so positive. I owe my success with NQF4 and PDE exam to her. She will be sorely missed. Rest in peace dear Jo-Anne.

• Jeanette Hall

Condolences to Jo-Anne’s family. I know how she loved them passionately. What a loss to everyone who knew her. Jo-Anne you leave a gap in everyone’s life. What a mentor , what an amazing Teacher and trainer, always welcoming and a personality that cannot be replaced ..
    Integrity, love, compassion and a passion for teaching, are some words to describe Jo-Anne
    You certainly left your mark on the Real Estate world Jo-Anne. We can only pray for strength for your family now. Gone too soon MHDSRIP

• Colleen

May her soul rest in peace as her spirit continues to live on !

She was an amazing instructor willing to share her experience and knowledge in the most practical way .

May God wipe her family tears .